Sunday, February 1, 2009

Eastern Market

I went to the Eastern Market down in Detroit for the first time yesterday. I can't believe I've never gone before. Of course I had to pick one of the coldest days of the year to go but it was worth it. Since it's winter time they have all the vendors in 1 shed. I found some great deals. I bought some homemade Amish cinnamon rolls & zucchini bread. A dozen brown eggs from cage free, local farm fed hens. I bought some clementines that are the size of oranges, and spinach for the birds. To my surprise they had alot to choose from during the winter.

Once I unloaded my goodies into my car I sat in the heat for a few minutes then headed over to the Hirt Co. It's this old building that is 3 floors with so many different goodies. I bought some fresh bread, cheese, tea & some Hog Wash. The hog wash I bought just because I thought it might come in handy and I got to try it out this morning when I woke up with a bloody nose. The stuff worked! Took the blood right out of the fabric!! This is stuff is awesome!! You have to check it out. Here is a website for it:
http://www.sallyeander.com/products/soaps/hogwash-soap/hogwash-soap/

After I was done shopping I went across the street to the Russell Street Deli. It was packed! I can't even imagine what its like during the summer. I ordered 2 Corn Beef all the Way and headed home. Oh yeah, I got stopped by a lady asking for money so I gave her $2 and told her to go get something warm to eat and I wasn't talking about liquor! I usually don't give people money like that but it was freezing and she was working the crowd so hard I had to give her credit.

I felt really good about my trip to the Eastern Market because I was purchasing local items from vendors here in Michigan. Anything to help out the businesses in the area get through these rough times in the economy. I enjoyed my trip so much that when I got home Pat started to get excited to go next time with me. Well we are going back next Saturday! We are going to meet a friend for breakfast and go walk around for an hour or so. I'll have to take my camera this time so you can see what it's like.
For now here is the website:
http://www.easternmarket.org/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FYI: the official Eastern Market website can be found at www.detroiteasternmarket.com

Take care.